The COVID-19 preventive lockdown has changed the life of every individual in the country. While the lockdown is laudable and may be very much required to fight the pandemic, it has also led to numerous problems, especially for the underprivileged section of the society who live in a ‘hand to mouth’ situation throughout the year. Millions of daily wage earners have lost their jobs and are struggling to fend for themselves and their families.
And horrifyingly, our children have become even more vulnerable to exploitation. Children belonging to the economically weaker sections of society have become susceptible to trafficking, labour and exploitation due to the financial crisis; the children who are spending more time than ever on the internet now are also exposed to predators in the virtual world.
With all these, and many more challenges ahead of us, we at Bachpan Bachao Andolan are Doing Our Bit through a number of activities, relief work and campaigns to help those in need, and make the world a better place for our children.
Meals, grocery and other essentials
- Over 65,000 people in 15 states have been supported with dry ration for 20 days
- With the intervention of our Chairperson Mr. RS Chaurasia, over 1000 underprivileged SC/ST families are being provided grocery kits in Mirzapur district of Uttar Pradesh.
- Over 25,000 individuals provided cooked meals with efforts of our partners in Delhi, Maharashtra and Punjab
- Till date more than 5,500 meals have been provided through social kitchen
- Over 17,000 masks have been distributed among frontline health workers in Tamil Nadu
- Over 3,600 children living in Child Care Institutions across country have been provided health care kits
- We have provided counseling support to 100 senior citizens and linked them with medical services in Kozikode (Kerala)
Over 2,000 PPE kits distributed to healthworkers including doctors, ANMs and ASHA workers
Raid and Rescue
- 35 children rescued from Sari making industry in Jetpur city of Gujarat. The rescue was conducted with joint efforts of State police, district administration and BBA on May 7
- 17-year-old girl, trafficked from Jharkhand rescued from a household in Gurugram with the efforts of police and BBA on May 3. The girl was allegedly sold to the employer for Rs. 60,000. Read the news here
- Even amid the countrywide COVID-19 lockdown, our team rescued a minor girl who was forcibly married to a 27-year-old man in Haryana’s Sonipat on the occasion of Akshay Tritiya (April 26). The state police arrested seven offenders during the raid. Read the news here
- 6 children, including 5 boys and one girl, were rescued from Mango storage work in Telangana, FIR filed against employer
39 children were rescued from two Saree making factories situated in Jetpur city of Gujarat on May 16, and two FIRs were registered
3 children were rescued from an Agro-Industry in Chhattisgarh on a tip-off on May 17
14 Children were rescued in rajasthan on May 15
- We have offered 2 of our buildings in Delhi for use as quarantine / isolation centers to the Government
- We are actively following up with over 10,000 children rescued in the past 5 years, and their families, to ensure that these children are not re-trafficked
- We have tied-up with Indian Railways for putting up posters at stations and in trains for deterrence and providing help line details to combat trafficking
- We have shared COVID-19 do’s and don’ts with around 1,500 child care institutions across the country to ensure safety of children living there
- In Andhra Pradesh, we worked in coordination with the officials of district administration, police and revenue department to provide shelter for 110 migrant workers from Jharkhand, Bihar, UP and Odisha who set off on foot to reach their home states.